Friday, June 19, 2009

Change Is In the Air

For the first time ever since I left Romania almost six years ago, I want to stay. Not because it's now problem free and not because things are running more smoothly. But because they are changing and I can feel it. The change is probably painfully slow for those who live here, but since I only get to come back every other year or so, to me it's shockingly fast. And I want to be a part of it.

I know it's gonna be hard and, above all, frustrating. Changing mentalities is not easy. Furthermore, changing some people is next to impossible, and the frustrating part is when those some happen to be political and economic leaders. People you can't avoid, people you have to work with, yet people that you intensely dislike because they are corrupt, incompetent, disinformed and presumptuous.

So yeah. I want to stay and I want to get involved in politics. Welcome to the jungle, you might say. One needs a good dose of irresponsibility to ignore all the warnings and one's own judgement. But I want to give it a shot. When I said things are changing, I also meant people. I recently met this liberal MP that I truly like. I met her because I e-mailed her, after watching her speak on TV. The mere fact that she replied and expressed interest to meet me is a sign that things are moving in the right direction.

So for now, I choose to keep my faith in myself, my country and the future (God, this is the worst cliche ever) and ignore all them warning signs. The heck with feasibility assessments. Obama is the most unfeasible leader ever, for oh so many reasons, yet he got himself elected and is now doing a great job running the US. He is an exception, true, but I believe so am I in the context from which I am writing.

Wish me good luck and keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment